Sunday 2 August 2009

In the beginning...


My favourite comic or magazine over the years has to be Dez Skinn's WARRIOR. It's something I go back to time and again and re-read. Nothing came to close to it for years until one day I was in Forbidden Planet and saw a copy of BAM!, a small press comic published by Jason Cobley. here was another black and white anthology with some great characters, including Winston Bulldog.

I thought Bulldog was a fantastic character and drew up a sample page, hoping to peak Jason's interest, and throw a script my way. Unfortunately, in a masterclass of timing, I had discovered BAM! just as Jason had decided to fold it and go in a different direction, so I never got the chance to draw a full story. But here's the first couple of pages I drew as a sample. I still like it.
Anyway, with BAM! gone, I decided to investigate other small press works, and found there are loads to choose from! And I thought, I could do that.
PARAGON is kinda based on WARRIOR with Julian Ruby starting out as a Mr Cream clone (the hitman who had a cameo role in Marvelman), Jikan - the time travelling demon-stalking japanese warrior replacing Shandor, short terror tales, comic strip film adaptations, and with issue 3, Emperor came up with Ganesh, a big-footed chap who thumps things. Sound a bit like Axel Pressbutton?
It ain't perfect yet, but it's improving. I hope you'll stick around for the journey

2 comments:

Emperor said...

Good story and some nice work there. I'll have to do a little Secret Origin of Ganesh soon.

"with issue 3, Emperor came up with Ganesh, a big-footed chap who thumps things. Sound a bit like Axel Pressbutton?"

LOL - I hadn't thought of that. Worth noting he is also a man who transforms into a superhero when he utters a Phrase of Power.

Dave Candlish said...

True. Can you imagine Ganesh in gaudy superhero lycra though? That would just be wrong :)